I Chronicles 16:34 (NASB)
“O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
It’s hard for me to know where to begin this week. Trials have hit hard in the last week, and it makes writing this list a little difficult. It’s not difficult because I’m not thankful. It’s difficult because God has so richly blessed with comfort and grace that I have trouble knowing where to begin.
1. First, I’m thankful that when my roommate received a phone call that her sister had been shot by her husband, I was there with her to drive her over to the house, to pray, and to call church and school people to have them join in praying for the family.
2. I’m thankful that even though the victim’s mother and sons (my roommate’s mother and nephews) were in the house and saw the shooting, they were not harmed at all.
3. I’m thankful that my roommate and I go to the same church and work at the same Christian school, so I knew who to call for prayer.
4. I’m thankful that those two little boys (nephews of my roommate and my students) have so many people who love them and can care for them. I’m also thankful that they have a loving Heavenly Father that can heal even this darkest of issues for them.
5. I’m thankful that the funeral service was beautiful. The shooter’s brother was there to see the forgiveness and hear the clear presentation of the gospel.
6. I’m thankful for the devotions presented this morning in our teacher’s meeting. The leader talked about how God allowed Peter to do the impossible, walk on water, as long as Peter kept his eyes on Jesus and not on the waves. I needed that reminder. I know that these next few months of grief and processing will be difficult, and I have been fearful. I know that it will not be easy to support my roommate through this time, but I know that if I keep my eyes on Jesus, He will give me the strength I need.
7. I’m thankful that even though the shooter has not been caught by the authorities, his location is no mystery to God.
8. I’m thankful that the shooter can still reach out to God for forgiveness.
9. I’m thankful that none of this took God by surprise.
Please visit Iris at Sting My Heart for even more reasons to praise the Lord.